April 26, 2014

Tough Words

Jesus says some tough things in the Bible. Sometimes they are tough because they are hard to understand what He means or they are hard to follow and be obedient too or  they simply pierce our hearts and convict us.

Nevertheless, one saying that He says is found in Matthew 10:32-33

"So everyone who acknowledges me before men, 
I also will acknowledge before my Father who is heaven, 
but whoever denies me before me, 
I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven."

The structure of this seems simple:

If we acknowledge Jesus before others, then He will acknowledge us to the Father.

But if we don't acknowledge Jesus before others, then He will not acknowledge us to the Father.

Really??????

It bring some questions to my mind when I read these things, particularly the question:

If we believe in Jesus, but someone is trashing Him in front of us, are we obligated to say something?

I want to think, "No! Of course not!"

But part of me says, "Yes, of course you are!"

What makes it so hard to acknowledge Christ?

I guess the real question that hits me is this:

If we believe in Jesus, why wouldn't we want to say something? What do we have to fear?

Pain? Rejection?

If we read the prior verses to vs 32 and 33 we find this in Matthew 10:28-31

"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. 
Rather ear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? 
And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 
But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 
Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

We shouldn't fear being rejected or hurt or whatever by acknowledging Jesus. When we stand up for Jesus, acknowledging His name; someone hears the Gospel. Someone hears the glorious truth that salvation is possible. 

Therefore, we acknowledge Jesus because souls are at stake here. 
Souls are on the line.

Will you acknowledge Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment