August 6, 2013

My (old) Roommate

Something interesting happened to me last week, let me share it with you.

In the year 2007, I graduated high school in the end of spring/beginning of summer. And then I was headed off to Kuyper College to live and to double major in Biblical/Theological studies and Pre-seminary studies with a double minor in communications and Koine Greek.

And I was planning on living there also; I went pot-luck. Pot-luck means that you let the college decide who is going to be your roommate. Since I didn't know anyone going there, I guess it made sense.

1st day of college!
I was really nervous to meet my roommate when I found out it was Harrison Burgett from St. John, Indiana. I call him "Harry" but I learned that I am/was/still am the only person to call him that. We communicated maybe twice before we actually met.

I was so nervous.

To fast forward the story, we met and instantly became best friends.

We lived together for 1.5 years; and had many "sleep-overs" and Call of Duty and NHL game nights after that.

We had so many things in common by the way we acted; thought and spoke. I loved it.


We did so many crazy things together--too many to name or count or even remember.

We also did many awesome things together.

We played college soccer together--he had never played soccer before.


We went on a study tour to Israel for 2 weeks.

We studied Greek for 2 years until we were blue in the face.

We still have sleep overs.

We still hang out even though he has moved back to Indiana.

We still talk every week.

We started a Bible study together in college.

We held each other accountable for specific sins we were struggling with.

We helped each other study.

We critiqued each other's chapel talks or any other talks we gave.

And finally, we graduated with the same degree. (He's got a red cord because he was smarter than I)


And we both entered into seminary. He started attending Grand Rapids Theological Seminary just for a semester. Then he transferred to Western Theological Seminary (the dark side). He is married, and he moved back to Indiana; but now takes classes online and comes up here roughly twice a year for two weeks at a time.

He has a little bit left to go for seminary, but he is receiving an "internship/mentorship/leadership training course" through his church which he is actively involved in. Therefore, he is taking classes at a slower pace.

I have one more year left.

And this past Sunday, we both preached at different churches.

Okay, this was in Sophomore year, but you get the picture :)

And that was awesome. We talked on Friday evening and then again on Sunday afternoon. 

On Friday, we went through our sermons that we had planned and gave each other pointers and helpful hints/critiques.

On Sunday, we reflected on our AM service.

And I couldn't help but think, "Wow, God sure has brought both of us a long way!" 

He has shaped and molded us on this journey through each other.

What a blessing Harrison "Harry" Burgett has been to me in my life and on my faith journey.

I praise God for the man that he is and for the man that he is becoming.

Thank you Harry for the good times, the tough times, the sad times and the times where we shared stories of God's grace, faithfulness and mercy.

As we both would say;

To God be the glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment