July 23, 2013

Book Reviews

As some of you know, one thing that I have a lot of is books......this is true. Therefore, I thought I'd give you a list of some that I have read with a little review of them:

1. The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. This book deals largely with putting off the old self--dealing with the sin in our lives. It has short chapters which are easily readable in 5-10 minutes. It is in the prequel to the book The Practice of Godliness by Bridges of which I am now reading. This book emphasizing the putting on the new self--growing in Christian character.

2. Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. I was recommended this book by my Uncle before I left for California. I really wanted to get it before I went, so Denae purchased it for me and now I've finished reading it. Bridges deals with the sins that we sometimes don't think are as big of sins as other such as pride, anxiousness, worry, anger, worldliness, frustration, etc. Very fine book that is well written from the roots of Scripture Bridges shows how these sins are sins and offers helpful ways to overcome them.

3. Sex and the Supremacy of Christ by Justin Taylor and John Piper. I bought this book in 2009 because my friend recommended it to me, but I neglected to read it. However, I've now finished it and I highly recommend this to any high school student, college student or above. A phenomenal book on how to approach sexuality from the rule of Christ. The introduction is absolutely breath-taking.

4. God is the Gospel by John Piper. In this book Piper explains how "we have turned the love of God and the Gospel of Christ into a divine endorsement of our delight in many lesser things, especially the delight in our being made much of." A great help to me in my personal life as well as the sermon series on The Gospel that I've been doing.

5. The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler. I am not too far into this book, yet it has been a phenomenal read thus far and help for the series I am doing. Absolutely great read and a must read for those of you who are Christians.

I've enjoyed my nights out here getting reading done while I sit on my back porch. It truly has been a blessing to just sit, watch the sunset and read a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment