July 6, 2013

Overcome

One song by Jeremy Camp that I absolutely love is the song "Overcome". Every time that I hear it I get goose bumps. And it has been stuck in my head the past few days.....

Just read these lyrics for a moment and then look it up on godtube if you want to hear it:

Here is a link to godtube: http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=WDDPG7NX

Here are the lyrics:

Seated above, enthroned in the Father's love
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
God's only Son, perfect in spotless one
And He never sinned, but suffered as if He did

All authority, every victory is yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise,
You overcame
You overcame

Jesus, awesome and power forever
Awesome and great is your name
You overcame

Power in hand, speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land

All authority, every victory is yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise,
You overcame
You overcame

Jesus, awesome and power forever
Awesome and great is your name
You overcame

We will overcome
By the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony
Everyone, overcome

We will overcome
By the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony
Everyone, overcome

Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise,
You overcame
You overcame

Jesus, you overcame
You overcame


This song has been stuck in my head. Last night I went to the beach to watch the sunset and just to get out for a bit. It was kind of cloudy, so to be honest, the sunset wasn't that great; but I wasn't disappointed. I heard this song on my way down to the beach and then on my way back home and it just came on my Pandora Radio.

To me, it is such a powerful song. It answers the question, "how can we overcome sin?" Well there are two reasons or two ways which we can overcome.

1. Because Christ did. John 16:33 says the words of Christ, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" Just as the song says, Christ has overcome, making it possible for us to overcome.

2. Because we are children of God. 1 John 5:4-5 says, "..for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the wold? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God." Just as the song says, 'by the word of our testimony'. If we are children of God, then we confess Jesus as the Son of God--this is our testimony.

I honestly just am sitting here and marveling at our magnificent God.

I've probably replayed this song close to ten times by the time I've written this blog.....

I am in utter amazement that my God would come to earth as a man; to be tempted in every way that I am. He was treated brutally while He was here; He never sinned, but suffered just as if He was a sinner. He was without sin, but bore my sin by dying on the cross and rising again three days later. He overcame death. He overcame sin. He overcame the devil. He overcame.

And now, that same Spirit that raised Him from the dead and helped Him overcome; is now in me....think about that. The same Spirit who helped Christ overcome is now in me. The same Spirit who raised Jesus Christ from the dead--okay, yes; the Spirit made what once was dead to now life--is now in me.

Okay, deep breathes.

I mean, seriously?

Surely, this God is worthy of all our honor and glory, worthy of all our praise.

For He overcame.

And now we can.

To God be the glory for great things He has done; He is doing and for the great things He will do.

P.S. I bought a ukulele last night.......I'm stoked to learn how to play. I've got a guitar, but haven't taken the time to learn. This song, just might be the first one I learn how to play.
Me and the ukulele

Oh yeah, since I am coming home on Monday, I figured that I better do laundry. So here is for a day of laundry, sermon preparation, ironing, and more sermon preparation!

No comments:

Post a Comment