July 5, 2013

Language Barrier

Usually when you go to another country that speaks a foreign language that you do not know there is what people call a 'language barrier' because you do not know their language and they don't know yours--therefore it is very hard to communicate. Well, that is also true in different states in the United States of America; particularly being a Michigander living in California. Let me explain:

First, what do you call the thing that you place your steaks, hamburgers or chicken to cook them on?

I call it a grill. In California it is a barbecue (BBQ). I've tried to convince them that BBQ is a flavoring that goes on these things, but they just don't get it. Or I guess, maybe I don't get it.

Second, what do you call that carbonated beverage that is for all ages?

I call it pop. In California, they call it soda.

Third, do you ever abbreviate any words?

I do, such as "hamburg" which is short for "hamburger". They think that is nuts.

Fourth, what do you call the food item that has lettuce, some peppers, tomatoes and cheese?

I call it salad. In California, they call it salad also. But I guess I pronounce it weird. Maybe it is just me.

Fifth, what do you call the game where you have two boards and you are standing roughly 30 feet apart throwing square items into the hole?

I call it bean bag toss. In California, it is known as corn hole; even if the bags are filled with beans, it is still called corn hole. Hmmmm....

Sixth, what do you call the weather that has clouds, yet it is still hot?

I call it being overcast. In California they call it June gloom. But wait, it was that way today and it is July....hmmm...

Seventh, what do you say when you have everything figured out, such as plans for a worship service?

I call it, "Yup, we are doing well. Everything is all set, we are ready to go." In California, they say, "Dude, we are all dialed in."

I think that is it for now. Perhaps I say some other words that are misunderstood or pronounced wrong, but I haven't been told anything different yet. Maybe it is to come.

Therefore, I am adjusting well, but to all my Michigan family and friends; I apologize if I sound a little "Californian" after I get back. I will do my best to adjust to the language barrier that I will have when I come back home to Michigan; all I ask is for your patience as I adjust.

Thank you in advance.


No comments:

Post a Comment